I made a thing! Altered a thing! Whatever. I did something productive with fabric! Yay!
My lovely mentor-lady gave me a trunkful of clothes. Quite literally: the trunk of her car was full of wearable treasures. It was quite possibly the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. So, like the broke college student I am, I thought: FREE STUFF! and promptly took as much of it as I could. One of the treasures was a yellow shirt from Loft that had a really interesting neckline, but was several sizes too wide and also managed to have sleeves that were not only too wide, but also too short. (How do clothing manufacturers do that, by the way? One would think sleeve length would grow proportionately to size. I wonder this about pants’ lengths, too.)
So I thought, good opportunity to try chopping things up and then sewing them back together again! (Or, in fancy-pantsy sewing terms, “alterations”.) This I proceeded to do…after some frustration. To prevent similar frustration in your future, should you decide to turn your hand to altering clothing, here’s a handy-dandy equation for you:
Scissors + too much coffee + side seams – proper pinning = DOOM, where doom = a gaping wound in a pretty shirt.
I said, “Curses!” and then I said curses, and then I walked away from it for a few days, swearing a vow that next time…NEXT TIME…I would be victorious.
Then today I finished my homework early, thank you universe, and decided to tackle it again. Several more gaping wounds later (all in the shirt, don’t worry – although it was a near miss), I now have a shirt that fits me! And it was free! And I made it (kinda!).
Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of the process to share with you, interwebs. And after an extensive search of the internet (read: 30 seconds spent scrolling through the LOFT website), I can’t find a picture of the shirt pre-resurrection. But! Pics of the resurrected product will be forthcoming as soon as I get off my butt and take them.
Also, um, hello again. It’s been a while. 🙂